Why Fighting Your Ticket with a Traffic Ticket Attorney in Orlando Makes Sense
What are Your Options after Receiving a Traffic Ticket?
Many people believe they have only three options after receiving a traffic ticket: pay the ticket, attend traffic school or appear before a judge and plead their case. The choice most people will make is to simply write a check and mail it in to the court. This choice is made so often because of the time constraints we are all under. Appearing in court or taking traffic school means taking time away from work or other responsibilities. It’s important to understand that while paying your ticket may seem like the most expedient way to deal with the situation, once you drop that check in the mail you have, in effect, pled guilty to the offense and garnered yourself a conviction.
Depending on the specific offense, your conviction could be civil or could be criminal. Civil traffic offenses include basic speeding tickets, failure to yield, following too closely, running a stop sign or stop light, and driving on an expired license (less than six months). Criminal traffic offenses include reckless driving, driving on a suspended license, driving under the influence, speeding which caused an accident and leaving the scene of an accident. Even if you wanted to pay a fine or go to traffic school, you are not allowed to do so for criminal traffic offenses, rather you will face a criminal trial and could possibly face jail time. A conviction for any type of moving violation will add points to your driving record, potentially leading to a suspended license. An Orlando traffic ticket attorney can help you with your traffic ticket, no matter whether it is criminal or civil.
What About a Traffic Ticket Hearing?
If you choose to go before a judge and contest your ticket, the task is much less daunting with an Orlando speeding ticket lawyer by your side. If you are concerned about adding points to your driver’s license, you feel your citation is wrong and you want your day in court, or you received a citation for careless driving which involved an accident, it is imperative you have an experienced traffic ticket lawyer in Orlando by your side. Your attorney will understand the Florida legal system and have knowledge of all the necessary Florida laws pertaining to your case. The police officer who issued your ticket will also be present, and it can be extremely difficult to face a hearing on your own unless you are a skilled public speaker with a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the law.
People who represent themselves in court almost always get “hammered,” as they are not privy to the arsenal of objections and knowledge of a Orlando traffic ticket attorney has. In other words, while you certainly have the right to object when the officer is making a case against you when representing yourself, these objections are usually pointless if you are unable to explain the legal grounds for the objection. In short, having a strong, aggressive Orlando traffic ticket attorney by your side when you appear in court can make all the difference between a positive or negative outcome.
What Can a Taffic Attorney Do For Me?
There are many ways your Orlando traffic ticket lawyer can assist you after you have received a traffic citation. Your attorney may be able to have your ticket dismissed entirely, particularly if he or she can show the police officer was either insufficiently trained in using the radar equipment or that the radar equipment was not properly calibrated when used to check your speed. The attorneys know how the Florida court system works and have good relationships with the judges and court personnel who will be involved in your case. Your Orlando traffic ticket attorney can advise you on your options, request a hearing on your behalf, attend the hearing, and, overall, determine a solution to your situation with a goal of keeping points off your driver’s license and a criminal conviction off your record.
Types of Traffic Offenses Which Can Benefit the Most From an Orlando Traffic Ticket Attorney
While an experienced Orlando speeding ticket attorney can help you with any issue related to a traffic citation, there are some issues which are especially serious, such as:
- Driving with a suspended license: These tickets can be particularly serious, as should you choose to simply pay your fine you could end up with a five-year license suspension. If you, like most Americans, use your automobile nearly every day, this is simply not an acceptable solution. While these tickets can certainly cause more pain than any others, they can also some times be the simplest to have dismissed when you have a knowledgeable Orlando traffic ticket attorney by your side.
- Toll and SunPass violations: The typical fine for a toll violation is more than $250. If you add in late fees the total can reach as high as $400. An Orlando traffic ticket attorney can attempt to have those fees significantly reduced.
- If you have received a speeding ticket, you should always have a Orlando speeding ticket attorney by your side—it is extremely rare that a defendant who represents himself successfully argues his way out of a speeding ticket.
- If you have been charged with DUI, never, ever represent yourself. You could end up losing your license and going to jail if you don’t aggressively fight these charges. The penalties for a DUI conviction are severe, and you have only ten days in which to request a hearing with the Florida Department of Transportation to attempt to save your driver’s license.
- Reckless driving in the state of Florida consists of “driving in a willful and wanton disregard for the lives and property of others.” A reckless driving conviction is a criminal misdemeanor and will appear on your record when prospective employers perform a background check.
- If you have multiple citations in a five-year period, you are considered a habitual traffic offender; this puts you at significant risk regarding your driver’s license status. Even if you pay all your outstanding traffic tickets, this does not ensure you will not be penalized as a habitual traffic offender.
Make sure you explore all your otpions for your traffic tickets by speaking to a Orlando traffic ticket lawyer as soon as possible. We will fight aggressively for your rights and your future.