Call today for a FREE consultation 866-985-7740

Marion County Traffic Ticket Attorney – DUI Lawyer in Marion County

Marion County has a population of just about 350,000 people. The main city located in Marion County is Ocala, Florida. Interstate 75, Highways 41, 301, 441, among other major roadways cross the county. The police departments that patrol the county are Ocala Police Department, Belleview Police Department, Dunnellon Police Department, Florida Highway Patrol, and Marion County Sheriff’s Office. The law enforcement agencies issue citations for any traffic violations.

These traffic violations include unlawful speed, failure to stop at a traffic signal, driving under the influence, and other violations. These traffic violations result may result in further hearings before a judge or magistrate, fines/fees, license suspension, and other penalties. Points may also be assessed on your license. These points depend on the violation:

Non-moving violations 0
Unlawful speed less than 15 miles per hour over the speed limit, moving Violations (non-speeding, no accident), violation of child restraint laws and littering 3
Unlawful speed more than 16 miles per hour over the speed limit, passing a stopped school bus, reckless driving, and moving (non-speeding) resulting in a crash 4
Unlawful speed resulting in a crash and leaving scene of a crash with damage (>$50) 6

These points accumulate to cause insurance premiums that may be up to four times those of a safe driver. If the accumulation results at a rate of 12 points in a year, your license may be suspended for a month. If there is an accumulation of 18 points in a year and a half, your license may be suspended for three months. If the points accrue to twenty-four (24) points in three years your license may be suspended for one year. If there are further points received, your license may be suspended for 90 more days per violation.

There are a couple of ways to keep points off of your license. You can attend a Driver Improvement Course to keep points off of your license. You must notify the clerk of court within thirty days and complete the course within ninety days. It is important to note that you must meet the restrictions: you cannot have taken the course within the last twelve months and you may only take it up to five times in your lifetime. If you have taken it five times or would like a different alternative, you may request a hearing from the clerk of the court within thirty days. This request must be in writing and sent to the clerk at the courthouse, which is located at 110 NW 1st Avenue, Ocala, FL 34475. The courthouse is also where any hearings will transpire.

Any criminal citations include a required hearing. A Marion County Traffic Attorney may attend the hearing with you and help you in presenting your case to the judge. The judge, any witnesses, the arresting or citation issuing officer, you, and your Ocala Speeding Ticket lawyer may attend the hearing. You will present your case, any defenses, and any missing facts that the officer may not have been aware of at the time of the citation or arrestol.67. Your attorney will assist you in giving you knowledge of the law, the procedure and any likely outcomes. Criminal violations include reckless driving, driving under the influence, driving with a suspended license, among other violations. These violations can result in jail time, license suspension, license revocation, fines/fees, points, and having points assessed on your record. Criminal violations are treated differently in court. There are higher penalties and more requirements when there are criminal traffic violations.

Marion County’s location in the middle of the state makes it susceptible to many tourists passing through the county. The numerous roadways are patrolled heavily by the state and county law enforcement agencies. The traffic violations can be addressed with any of the aforementioned options in ordered. In order to best protect your rights and be knowledgeable about defenses available to you, it is best to seek the advice of a Marion County Traffic Attorney as soon as possible.